|“||One of the most botanically rich coastal areas in the UK||”|
- Hawthwaite Lane LA14 4QJ
- Home to many different animal species including rare invertebrates and 15% of the UK's natterjack toad population
How to get there
- Car : Travel out of Barrow on the A590, Park Road. After about 4 miles, turn left onto Oak Lea Road just before the 1st A590 roundabout. Then turn left onto Hawthwaite Lane.
- Bus : Route 7. Board from Stop D outside Wilkos at Town Hall Bus Interchange. Ask the driver for Roanhead where Oak Lea Road meets A590. Walk down Oak Lea Road and then left onto Hawthwaite Lane.
- Train : Travel to Askam Station. Walk down Duddon Road to Askam Beach and follow the coast to Roanhead.
- Cycle : Follow Park Road Cyclepath. At the end, turn left onto Oak Lea Road just before the 1st A590 roundabout. Then turn left onto Hawthwaite Lane.
- Attractions : Sandscale Haws National Nature Reserve
- Food : None at the beach
- Accommodation : Self-catering