|“||Outstanding dune habitat supporting a wealth of wildlife and with magnificent views||”|
- Hawthwaite Lane LA14 4QJ
- A significant area for Natterjack Toads, Sandscale Haws supports one fifth of the UK population of the rare amphibian. Also migratory bird populations of international importance, including Pintail, Red Knot and Common Redshank. Over 20,000 wintering waterfowl can be seen regularly.
How to get there
- Car : Travel out of Barrow on the A590, Park Road. After about 4 miles, turn left onto Oak Lea Road just before the 1st A590 roundabout. Then turn left onto Hawthwaite Lane.
- Bus : Route 7. Board from Stop D outside Wilkos at Town Hall Bus Interchange. Ask the driver for Roanhead where Oak Lea Road meets A590. Walk down Oak Lea Road and then left onto Hawthwaite Lane.
- Train : Travel to Askam Station. Walk down Duddon Road to Askam Beach and follow the coast to Roanhead.
- Cycle : Follow Park Road Cyclepath. At the end, turn left onto Oak Lea Road just before the 1st A590 roundabout. Then turn left onto Hawthwaite Lane.
- Attractions : Roanhead Beach
- Food : None near the Reserve
- Accommodation : None near the Reserve